Saturday, October 20, 2007

Trust

So it's come up at least once at some point in each of the last several days: Trust.
I keep finding myself engaged in conversation with others about what is seeming to be a rather lonely opinion, that people have my trust inherently until they do something to lose it. Whether it be a close friend, fellow manager, etc. I am confronted with the opposing view that trust is something to be earned and not given to just anyone. Perhaps its naive of me, but that seems like a very lonely view of the world. I believe that the only way to truly connect to another human being is through developing some measure of trust between the two of you. The vulnerability that comes along with the potential of betrayal is what makes trust such a beautiful, powerful thing.
Have I been hurt before through lies or betrayal? Sure. Will I again be hurt in my lifetime by adopting this outlook? Most likely. But have I developed deep and lasting relationships as well with people who I cherish? Absolutely. And I wouldn't trade that for a self-imposed barrier around my heart that could possibly save me from an occasional disappointment or heartache.

It's funny ... I set out writing this post questioning myself and this belief and wondering if I was wrong. But in just writing these past few sentences, I have found a reaffirmed commitment to this theory and believe more than ever that it will serve me right in the future. And I will continue to strive to always be that person who my friends and family and colleagues can trust implicitly without exception. Perhaps if we all set about to do the same, this wouldn't even be an issue...

1 comment:

Gary said...

Interesting thoughts here about trust my frind. So, people are not quick to trust another? I am not surprised. However, on this topic (and so many others) I stand with you. Hell, I even trust when people close to me prove that they are not worthy of that trust. Some may say that is stupid but take a look. Who is bitter and who is happy?

You know I love you more than my luggage...