Saturday, November 17, 2007

Celebrity Skin


So with the plethora of music references I've ended up incorporating into my blog thus far, it might seem at first that this post is going to be about the Hole album called "Celebrity Skin" (albeit, an album which is somewhat underrated). But no, this is about our fascination and obsession with "celebrity"
You see, this past week, I slept with my first "celebrity." (P.S. - this is not about the who and the where and the name-dropping details. Besides its not someone whose private life is splashed all over the cover of US Weekly) However, what this is about is that the experience kind of shattered a few preconceptions for me. I think that subconsciously, I have held the very idea of fame and celebrity on a pedestal and I think my expectations were that a celebrity innately is better off and has more to offer than us "layfolk". However, our encounter was driven by massive amounts of alcohol and ended up being just as clunky and awkward as one-night stands with any other non-celebrity. There were no curtains blowing in the background, no orchestral soundtrack building to a climax in time with the participants, and no well scripted dialogue the morning after.
Celebrities do have more money and more recognition which does indeed alter some aspects of their lives. Yet, day to day, they are just like the rest of us, and any of us could become one of them under the right circumstances. And thus the overarching theme of this blog takes on even more relevance to me. Britney is just another person at the end of the day. And I'm doing way better with my life than she is with hers!!!

1 comment:

Gary said...

Ummm, I better be getting a phone call with details!!!!!